It took a while, but the future is here. Until very recently, machines, robots and other non-human entities capable of thinking and acting on their own have been relegated to science fiction for more than a century.
The field of Artificial Intelligence research came to fruition at Dartmouth College in 1956. From then until 1974, AI flourished: computers became faster, more powerful and cheaper, and machine learning algorithms improved. The government agency Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) got interested and funded AI research.
In a 1970 Life Magazine interview, Marvin Minsky predicted that “from three to eight years we will have a machine with the general intelligence of an average human being.” Clearly, that didn’t happen, and the biggest reason was a lack of computational power to enable AI to do anything significant.
But in the second decade of the 21st century, our technological advances have grown in leaps and bounds, becoming faster and smarter. Now that “big data” has allowed us to collect large amounts of information, artificial intelligence has seen a major “comeback”, particularly in industries like technology, banking, marketing and entertainment.
Now that we've got you up to speed, here are the AI trends we saw in marketing in 2019 that are still highly relevant in 2020.
Read more about Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and Big Data:
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Revolutionizing the Digital Marketing Sphere
- The Future of SEO: How AI and Machine Learning Will Impact Content
- Content Marketing and Artificial Intelligence: A Perfect Marriage?
- How Artificial Intelligence Is Transforming Influencer Marketing
- The Effects of Natural Language Processing (NLP) on Digital Marketing
- How AI Can Help Both Recruiters and Job Candidates
- 20 AI Tools to Scale Your Marketing and Improve Productivity
- How Machine Learning Is Transforming Content Marketing
- How to Use Big Data Analytics to Grow Your Marketing ROI
- The Future of Data Science & Predictive Modeling
- The Benefits and Dangers of Having AI Chatbots Interacting With Your Customers
- Why Chatbots Are a Must-Have for Businesses (and How to Build One!)