Want to learn the secrets of the world's best marketers in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for a free 14 day trial of Marketing School Pro to access exclusive content, actionable advice, and a private community that will make you smarter! Click here to learn more.
In Episode #271, Eric and Neil discuss how a small business can get started with public relations without hiring an agency. Tune in to learn the online tools that can help make your PR a breeze and other effective ways that do not cost you a single dollar.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: How Small Businesses Can Get Started with PR Without Hiring an Agency
- 00:36 – Public relations is still relevant today
- 00:49 – Eric recommends HARO or Help a Reporter Out
- 00:54 – You can find reporters who are also looking for help
- 01:04 – They have all sorts of categories of stories that you don’t expect
- 01:16 – Monitor it and get daily alerts
- 01:28 – Neil, as a startup, loves using agencies and individual people
- 01:37 – Chris Barrett is a performance-based PR rep
- 01:47 – Traditional PR people don’t think that Chris’ model is healthy for the space
- 01:55 – Chris still continues with his model and has also worked with Eric
- 02:14 – Pay per performance is definitely an option
- 02:21 – PRLOG is another tool that you can use
- 02:28 – “The best PR isn’t what most people think of”
- 02:36 – Neil hit people up in their space and he helped them out for free
- 02:44 – Get them to blog about your business in exchange for the “help”
- 03:06 – You can also use Mail Merge to reach out to people
- 03:22 – JournoRequest can also do PR for you
- 03:33 – Take a look at your dimensions and your competitors’ as well
- 03:51 – Have the monitoring tools in place
- 03:56 – PR is a numbers game
- 04:22 – Another tool is Radio Guest List which is similar to HARO, but for audio
- 04:56 – BlogDash will make blog outreach easier
- 05:15 – Marketing School is giving away a one year annual subscription to LeadQuizzes which allows you to collect leads from the quizzes you made
- 05:30 – To win, rate, review, and subscribe to Marketing School
- 05:33 – Text MARKETINGSCHOOL to 33444
- 05:43 – Neil used LeadQuizzes on his website, Nutrition Secrets
- 06:18 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- PR is still relevant today and even small businesses need it – it increases brand awareness.
- Pay per performance is an option that you can try, especially if you’re a small company.
- PR is a numbers game – track your dimensions.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
We help great companies grow their revenuesGet Your Free Marketing Consultation
Check Your Growth Score!
Type your domain below and see a report about your website.