Want to learn the secrets of the world's best marketers in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for a free 14 day trial of Marketing School Pro to access exclusive content, actionable advice, and a private community that will make you smarter! Click here to learn more.
From the mouth of a digital marketing agency to the ears of marketers, entrepreneurs, and business owners everywhere, here is what’s been happening this week in digital marketing (SEO, PPC, content marketing, social media, etc.).
- ‘Organic Reach on Facebook Is Dead’: Advertisers Expect Price Hikes after Facebook’s Feed Purge – Facebook seems to be “returning to being a social network rather than a news organization…. This algorithm change looks like a step to confirm that, returning to the days of wall posts and status updates.” What can brands do? This article from Digiday offers a few ideas, like produce high-quality content, up their spend to get into the news feed, and make use of messaging apps.
- 4 Ways AI is Changing the Landscape of Content Marketing – and What It Means For You – Get used to hearing more and more about artificial intelligence (AI), especially when it comes to marketing. This SEMrush post offers four ways that content marketing will be changed by this new technology — plus a quick caveat from Stephen Hawking who warns that “the development of full AI could spell the end of the human race.”
- Google Adds AMP Testing Tool to Search Results – Search Engine Journal's article about Google's update to the AMP testing tool is a super quick read. “After running an AMP URL through the submission form you will see the results page, which has several updated features. Users can now submit an AMP to Google’s index after testing it, as well as view an AMP’s raw source code. ” To see it in search results, Google “amp testing tool.”
- How to Scale Your Lead Generation Through Blogging – According to this Quicksprout article, blogging can be used as a lead generation tool no matter what your business. How? Well, unless you're an online retail store, there's not reason for people to visit your site more than once. But if you have a blog, it gives people a reason to keep coming back.
- YouTube Tightens Rules Around What Channels Can Be Monetized – YouTube is raising the requirements for a channel to monetize videos — you now need 4,000 hours of overall watch time on your channel within the past 12 months and have at least 1,000 subscribers. And if you don't, you will no longer be able to make income from ads. The new rules kick in February 20th.
Bonus! At the risk of tooting our own horn, this article ought to be in this week's roundup!
- What Facebook’s Algorithm Update Means for Brands & How to Take Advantage of the Shift – On January 11, Mark Zuckerburg put out a statement about Facebook's algorithm update that will prioritize posts by family, friends and groups over unpaid promotion from businesses. This will mean that businesses will see less engagement, less reach, and less interaction organically across Facebook (at least initially). Single Grain's Senior Paid Advertising Manager, Jeff Richards, explains what brands can do to take action on Facebook with these new changes.
Get your FREE bonus download to learn 29 things you should be doing to grow your business. Click below to get it right away: