In episode #815, Eric and Neil discuss their failed attempts at content marketing. Tune in to learn from their mistakes.
Eric and Neil have committed to throwing a FREE Marketing School Live Event in Los Angeles, once Marketing School reaches 1M downloads in a 30 day period. Take action: Rate, review, subscribe, and SHARE. Check the progress here!
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: My Failed Attempt at Content Marketing
- [00:40] Whenever a new game comes out, there are marketers who jump at the chance to write guides for the hottest releases.
- [00:57] Eric was one of those people and when Portal 2 came out, he made a website that served as a guide for the game.
- [01:05] He then decided he was going to write crappy articles and then get a bunch of links from black hat websites.
- [01:27] His traffic spiked, but then after a week, Google caught on to him and his site and traffic ceased.
- [01:44] Neil’s worst attempt at content marketing was creating a form called, “Traffic and Conversion”.
- [01:58] He got hit by a webmaster notification tool that said his content was spammy.
- [02:04] He realized a lot of people were spamming his form, so he cleaned it up.
- [02:11] The lesson he learned was that user-generated content doesn’t rank as well as original, curated material.
- [03:19] It takes time to build a following and a lot of it comes down to promotion.
- [03:31] Content and links are the most important factors of SEO.
- [03:45] You have to figure out how to promote your site, product, content. Etc.
- [03:57] Promotion always matters.
- [04:00] Another of Neil’s failed attempts was with a site “Online Poker Lowdown”.
- [04:05] He ranked on page one for the term “online poker”, but it dropped because there was very little useful information.
- [05:00] Quality matters!
- [05:06] If your content sucks, you will lose your ranking.
- [05:45] Instead of hustling, create content about topics you like.
- [06:19] That’s it for today!
- [06:24] Go here to see how many downloads the show is getting. Also rate and review to help Eric and Neil meet their goal of 1 Million downloads per month. Hopefully, we’ll see you at the live event in L.A.!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
We help great companies grow their revenuesGet Your Free Marketing Consultation
Check Your Growth Score!
Type your domain below and see a report about your website.