In episode #600, Eric and Neil explain how you can generate traffic on Instagram. Tune in to hear how you can leverage social media in order to grow your business.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:27] Today’s Topic: How to Generate Traffic From Instagram When You Have No Followers
- [00:40] Make sure you’re using the right tags.
- [00:43] There are tools like RiteTags to help you with this.
- [01:04] Promote your Instagram on your other social accounts.
- [01:10] Get the most engaged people to follow you.
- [01:18] The more engaged your followers, the more viral your post will end up being.
- [01:28] Eric finds the most engaged users in his industry and engages them on social media.
- [01:52] Start doing stories and when people watch, get them to go to your website.
- [02:13] Instagram Pods are a way of getting people together and like each other’s posts.
- [02:57] Eric likes Unity Influence, which is a platform where you can find influencers (NOTE: Eric has invested in this company).
- [03:22] When someone likes 20 pictures all at once, it doesn’t have as great an effect. If someone likes your photo and nothing else, your post will get a bigger bump.
- [03:54] Eric hired a company that kept reposting other people’s motivational quotes and doing power likes.
- [04:05] This doesn’t actually add value, so if you’re going to do something like that, you may as well use Canva.
- [04:25] You also need to have the right content that caters to your target audience.
- [04:32] Also, consider buying another Instagram account.
- [04:45] The account that you buy doesn’t have to be active before you buy it, but it should be in your field.
- [05:20] That’s it for today!
- [05:23] Go to Singlegrain.com/Giveway for a special marketing tool giveaway!
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
The post How to Generate Traffic From Instagram When You Have No Followers | Ep. #600 appeared first on Marketing School Podcast.
Full Transcript of The Episode
Eric Siu: Welcome to another episode of Marketing School. I'm Eric Siu.
Neil Patel: I'm Neil Patel.
Eric Siu: Today, we are going to talk about how you can generate traffic from Instagram when you have no followers. One of the things you can do, let's get this one out of the way, make sure that you're using the right tag. There are a bunch of tag tools out there, like RiteTag, R-I-T-E-T-A-G. You use tools like this, you're going to be able to find the right tags. You're going to find the right ... You can also find people that are utilizing those tags in a good fashion to also give you some ideas. That's one thing. Start with tags.
Neil Patel: What I like doing is, of course, everyone talks about the basic stuff, like promoting all your other social accounts and telling them that you're on Instagram, and, eventually, you'll get some followers, but what's worked out really well is getting the most engaged people to follow you. With Instagram, the way they're algorithm works is the higher percentage of your followers who engage, the more viral your photo or your story or whatever it may be is going to end up going.
What I enjoy doing is I go find all the popular profiles of users within my industry, and I continually engage, from commenting, to direct messaging, to helping people, to responding, because most people are posting photos, they're not even responding to their own community. If you start responding on their behalf and helping the people out, you'll find that you'll get a whole slew of followers, and my favorite way from driving traffic, because you then will start getting some of these followers, is start doing stories, and when you get people to start swiping up, you can end up sending them off to your website, and it's a great way to get sales, especially if you're in B2C and you're selling eCommerce-related products.
Eric Siu: Cool. Let's talk about some other stuff that you can do now in terms of, I gave you the basics, tagging, but pods. Instagram pods, you can also do this for LinkedIn, as well, but this is the idea of getting a group of people together, like-minded, maybe you're talking about entrepreneurship, marketing, and then once you post something, everybody goes out there and they like it. This is also kind of akin to ... There's a concept. If you Google it, if you do Powerlikes Instagram, it's a bunch of people liking something together, and, yes, there are people that kind of abuse this, but if you're doing it in a more organic fashion, and then you're ... Actually, you know what? I don't even think this is organic. I'm just going to be honest, but it does work, and I do see accounts that get thousands of likes or so, and they're just growing really quickly. What you do is you use pods. It's even better if you use influencers, like what Neil's talking about.
The other thing I'll say is there's a company out there, and there are some influencer marketing companies out there, but the one I like is Unity Influence. I'm an investor in that company, but it's a platform where you can go out there and then you can actually go out and select specific influencers that you're looking to work with and you're not going to spend a lot of money.
Neil Patel: When you're leveraging pods, make sure whoever's in your group or your pod, when they like your photo, they're not liking anyone else's for the next 20, 30 minutes, and they didn't like other photos for 30, 40 minutes before they liked yours. When they like 20 pictures all at once, it dilutes it, and it doesn't have that much of an effect, but if they see your photo, they haven't liked anything for, let's say, the previous 30 minutes or hour, and then they like your photo and only your photo, and they don't like anything else for the next 30 minutes or hour, it carries much more weight, so you want to make sure everyone within your pod follows that, and that's how you get on the Discover page.
Eric Siu: Then, I think this one goes without saying. It's just there's so many people posting motivational quotes now, so how do you stand out? I remember we hired a company, and what they did was they just kept re-posting other people's motivational quotes, and that was it, and they just kept doing Powerlikes, but, again, you're not adding a lot of value, so if you're going to do stuff like that, you might as well use a tool like Canva, and then put your branding on it, and then make it your own. Canva doesn't take you a long time. They have a free tool. That's C-A-N-V-A.com. Then just go out there and actually go create for the platform instead of just trying to gain the system and get a bunch of followers, which, at the end of the day, might not be the right followers that you're looking for. You want to have the right content catered towards the right audience, and that takes work. It takes time. It's not sexy, but you got to do it.
Neil Patel: You can also consider buying another Instagram account. There's tons of accounts out there that haven't been used much, and then you switch the name and start promoting your products or services. You can drive a lot of traffic. It works well. The only caveat to that is the account that you buy doesn't have to be super active before you end up purchasing it, but more so, it has to be in the same exact field that you're in. If you take a page on some model, and she's posting half naked pictures or he's posting half naked pictures, and then you're trying to sell a B2B marketing or consulting service, it's not going to be too effective, but if you take a teeth-whitening page that talks about how to take care of your teeth and dentist-related stuff, and then you transfer it over to your dentist-related page, even though it's not just about teeth whitening, it's still very effective because it's highly relevant.
Eric Siu: All right. That's it for today, but before we go, go check out our marketing goodies at SingleGrain.com/giveaway, and we will see you tomorrow.
Announcer: This session of Marketing School has come to a close. Be sure to subscribe for more daily marketing strategies and tactics to help you find the success you've always dreamed of, and don't forget to rate and review so we can continue to bring you the best daily content possible. We'll see you in class tomorrow right here on Marketing School.