In Episode #384, Eric and Neil discuss why it’s important to diversify your traffic sources. Tune in to know the key traffic sources you should be leveraging and why you shouldn’t focus on just one traffic source. You’ll also discover the top, highest ROI marketing strategy to date.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: Why It's Important To Diversify Your Traffic Sources
- 00:40 – Even if Neil is getting traffic from content marketing, if Google decides to ban him, it’s gone forever
- 00:57 – Therefore, you need to diversify your traffic sources
- 01:07 – There are a lot of people who have invested everything on SEO; they were clueless about what to do after an update
- 01:26 – You should have a good mixture of everything, like Google News traffic
- 01:35 – Social media channels are the best sources of traffic, not just Facebook
- 01:52 – Paid advertising drives traffic
- 02:03 – Create videos or audio files to get into other communities like iTunes and YouTube
- 02:23 – Make sure you’re collecting emails, too
- 02:42 – It’s still one of the highest ROI in marketing activities
- 02:53 – Marketing School is giving away a free 1 year subscription to Crazy Egg which is a visual analytics tool
- 03:38 – Go to SingleGrain.com/giveaway for multiple entries
- 03:50 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Diversifying your traffic sources gives you more chances to stay in the game should some of your platforms decide to ban or remove you.
- Leverage ALL social media platforms—this will cover you.
- Building an email list still drives the most traffic so make it your priority.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Full Transcript of The Episode
Eric Siu: Welcome to another episode of Marketing School. I'm Eric Siu.
Neil Patel: And I'm Neil Patel.
Eric Siu: And today we're going to talk about why it's important to diversify your traffic sources. In today's world, let's look at everything, right? Even though Neil crashes it with content marketing, and so a lot of SEO traffic coming in, right? If Google magically one day decides to bed him, then he is screwed if he's relying completely on organic traffic, right? That's why if you look at the Facebooks of the world, even if you look at Google, you look at YouTube, things like that, they have full control of everything, so you need to be able to diversify your traffic source, so if one thing shuts down, you're not shit out of luck and you don't have to shut your business down the next day. I've seen a lot of people dedicated to SEO in the past.
I've read a lot of forms, and when an update happens, they start to go crazy, and then they lose their shirt, they lose their business and then their family becomes screwed and things like that. That's why you don't want to rely completely on one thing because you can lose your shirt again.
Neil Patel: You should never rely on one source. You should be having a good mixture, whether it's Google traffic, Google news traffic. It's a great source, and just because you're pulled from Google doesn't mean you can't get Google news traffic, at least as far as I know. Social media traffic is another amazing channel, and they shouldn't just be relying on Facebook. There's Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter. Those are the main three. Instagram is hard to drive traffic back to your site, same with Snapchat. Pinterest is also another good one. Quora is also there. Then you should also be looking at paid advertising. All of these guys will always take your money. It affects their stock price, so they gladly want your cash, but those are the main traffic sources that I leverage. Then you can also do things like videos and audio to try to get into different market places.
Not really market places, but more so communities like the iTunes community. There is the YouTube video community. If you create content, audio, video, it opens up more traffic channels as well.
Eric Siu: Great, and then the one that Neil and I both use is just make sure that you're collecting emails too, because at the end of the day, email is that one thing you do have more control over. You just want to make sure that you're not burning out your list. Again, like if you have promotions, you have other content that you want to share, make sure that you're collecting emails at the end of the day because email is still one of the most highest ROI marketing activities that you can be doing. Neil, anything else to add?
Neil Patel: No, that's pretty much it.
Eric Siu: Okay, so that's it for today. But, before we go, we have a one year annual subscription of Crazy Egg that we would like to give to you, and I'll let Neil explain what Crazy Egg is.
Neil Patel: Crazy Egg is a visual analytics tool. It shows you where people click, where they don't. If your people are dropping off because you have too many form fields or specific form fields causing it, Crazy Egg will show you that. It shows you like mass recordings, it shows you where people are getting stock on your website. You can make changes to the [Wizzy-wig 00:03:15] editor. So if you're not a techy type of person or a designer or developer, no worries. You can make all those changes within the Crazy Egg interface, and even run AV tests or split tests at the same time. The tool is great. It will help you improve your conversations and sales.
Eric Siu: All right. We're actually giving away multiple entries on this. If you want to get in on the giveaway, you can do multiple entries depending on the different actions that you take, so just go to singlegrain.com/giveaway, and we're giving away one of these every single week. So think of it as a 52-week giveaway. That's it for today. We will see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: This session of Marketing School has come to a close. Be sure to subscribe for more daily marketing strategies and tactics to help you find the success you've always dreamed of, and don't forget to rate and review, so we can continue to bring you the best daily content possible. We'll see you in class tomorrow right here on Marketing School.
We help great companies grow their revenuesGet Your Free Marketing Consultation
Check Your Growth Score!
Type your domain below and see a report about your website.