Want to grow your organic traffic by 20-100%? We built ClickFlow, a suite of SEO tools designed to increase your organic rankings and scale qualified traffic for your website. Click here to learn more and get started.
In Episode #463, Eric and Neil discuss what makes the brand special. Tune in to learn how the big brands become a permanent mark in people’s homes and memories. Eric and Neil discuss how you, too, can make this impression on your customers.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- [00:27] – Today’s topic: What Makes a Brand Special?
- 00:35 – Eric shares what makes the iPhone special
- [00:55] – A brand becomes special when it can make those special connections with their audience
- 01:10 – Everybody has a different story for Coca-Cola—this shows how the product touches people’s lives
- [01:51] – The easiest way to find what can make your brand special is by looking at what your competitors are doing
- [01:58] – Do what your competitors are NOT doing, as long as it won’t hurt your brand
- [02:13] – Branding is important
- 02:21 – Marketing School is giving away 90-day FREE trial to Crazy Egg which is a visual analytics tool
- 02:33 – Go to SingleGrain.com/giveaway to get your FREE copy
- [02:40] – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Connecting with one’s audience is what makes a brand special.
- A brand becomes special once people can share their own stories with their experience with it—it could even be a part of their lives growing up.
- Leverage what your competitors are NOT doing and take advantage of it.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Full Transcript of The Episode
Eric Siu: Welcome to another episode of Marketing School. I'm Eric Siu.
Neil Patel: And I'm Neil Patel.
Eric Siu: And today, we're going to talk about what makes a brand special. If you haven't heard it in the past, I'm mean Neil and I talk about the power of branding. Here's a brand that's ... I'm looking at my iPhone right now. What makes an iPhone special? Guess what, first, it works, it's well designed, and it seems like a premium product. To me, when I look at something like that, well, that's great. And then we also talk about service, too. We talk about Amazon. We talk about Nordstrom as well. What makes them special, customer service. Neil?
Neil Patel: It's the connection that people have with your brand. Look at Nike. Nike's special. It's all the storytelling that they're doing. The connection that they're creating through their commercials. As you're watching their commercials, you can relate with them, you can connect, and you can feel how Nike, their products, can change your life.
Eric Siu: You think about Coca-Cola, for example. Everybody has a different story around Coca-Cola. It's not like Neil and I drink a lot of Coke nowadays, but when I think about Coca-Cola, I think about the days where I went to McDonald's when I was a kid and there was this older man that could pass for my grandpa. And he always used to give me a toy and used to have a Coke with me. That's what anchors me around Coke. That's the story that anchors me around it, right?
The brand is also what people say about you when you're not in the room. That is certainly a brand as well. Look at what Neil and I are saying about these different brands right now. Again, Nordstrom, Amazon. You think about customer service. That's how I think about those brands. And then Neil thinks about the stories around Nike as well. Those cool sports related stories.
A lot of different things. I mean, that's certainly another way to look at it.
Neil Patel: The easiest way to figure out what's going to make your brand special and stand out, is you go look at your competitors, go find out what they're not doing, and go do something that's the opposite. Of course if the opposite's going to hurt you, don't do that. But go find out an opportunity and go do that because they're not leveraging that and that'll make you stand out and be special in a different way.
Eric Siu: Great. I don't have much more to add about it besides the fact Neil and I think branding is important, which is the reason why we do this podcast in the first place. It is great branding.
Before we hop off, we are giving away a 90-day free trial of Crazy Egg. And no credit cards required. And it's worth up to $3,000 and it's available for every single one of you. So it should be a no-brainer. Just go to singlegrain.com/giveaway and we'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: This session of Marketing School has come to a close. Be sure to subscribe for more daily marketing strategies and tactics to help you find the success you've always dreamed of. And don't forget to rate and review so we can continue to bring you the best daily content possible. We'll see you in class tomorrow, right here on Marketing School.
We help great companies grow their revenuesGet Your Free Marketing Consultation
Check Your Growth Score!
Type your domain below and see a report about your website.