In Episode #173, Eric and Neil discuss how you can write a killer blog post. Many people can slap a string of coherent sentences together and call it a blog—but, can they capture their readers’ attention? Tune in as Eric and Neil reveal solid suggestions for creating a blog that will entice and hook an audience. From your title to the images place amidst your text, all these details count.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: How to Write a Killer Blog Post
- 00:35 – Write a great headline and continue the thought in the first few sentences to hook the readers
- 00:59 – Go to Copyblogger for the headline formula
- 01:15 – Think of blogging as a presentation or a classroom lecture
- 01:33 – Engage with your readers
- 01:46 – Start with a conversation
- 01:57 – Neil shares a sample conversation in a blogpost
- 03:08 – Use sub-headers or bullets to keep things organized
- 03:45 – Eric shares an example that can get readers hooked
- 04:08 – Add media to your blog post
- 04:32 – Eric uses DesignPickle for his images
- 04:50 – Have a conclusion heading
- 05:22 – All claims should be backed up by case study or research links
- 06:00 – If you have data that can separate you, the better, because it can’t be replicated easily
- 07:07 – Make your blog readable
- 07:17 – Design should be responsive and text should be clear
- 08:20 – Neil Patel’s Quicksprout
- 08:30 – Neil reads Tech Crunch, TMZ, CNN and other sites to give him creative ideas that he can leverage on his own website
- 09:00 – Eric checks Wallstreet Journal, copyblogger, and problogger
- 09:20 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Blog posts are not just about the text—a catchy photo or video can entice people to read it.
- Simple, but powerful—overly decorated posts can easily turn off the reader.
- Read a lot and a variety or written work as this feeds your creative inspiration.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
We help great companies grow their revenuesGet Your Free Marketing Consultation
Check Your Growth Score!
Type your domain below and see a report about your website.