Creating fresh content consistently can be challenging and draining. That’s why it’s in your best interest to make the most use of the content that you’ve already developed.
In this article, we’ll explore the motions and benefits of repurposing content and how it can be a game-changer for your website’s SEO strategy.
By repackaging and redistributing your valuable content into different formats, you can extend its reach, attract a wider audience, and boost your organic traffic.
With that said, let’s get to it!
We can count on them to bring new ideas to the table consistently
1) Maximize Content Reach through Video and Audio
Have you ever considered turning your popular blog posts into engaging videos or podcast episodes? The same can be done the other way around, turning your narrative video content into a podcast. Truly, content repurposing can be done with practically any digital medium:
Maximizing the utility and diversifying placements of your existing content can significantly amplify your exposure and reach. If you repurpose your content into different formats, you can cater to wider audience preferences and attract new visitors to your site – all why working less than if you created new content each and every time!
Let’s explore two powerful methods: repurposing video content and repurposing audio content.
Repurposing Video Content
YouTube, being the second-most popular search engine, presents a vast opportunity to expand your reach and attract new audiences:
Take one of your popular blog posts and transform it into a captivating video. Consider the following steps to make the most of this approach:
- Identify high-performing blog posts: Dive into your analytics and pinpoint blog posts that have garnered significant traction (“Top pages” in GSC, for example). Look for those with high retention rates and download counts. These are the posts that resonate well with your audience and have the potential to shine in video format.
- Create an engaging video: Craft a visually appealing and informative video based on your chosen blog post. The format of the blog post you choose ought to lend itself to being adapted to a video, almost as a baseboard to formulate a script. Be sure to maintain a balance between entertainment and value. Use relevant visuals, animations and compelling storytelling techniques to captivate your audience.
- Post on multiple platforms: Besides just YouTube, extend the reach of your video by sharing it across other platforms such as Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn. Each platform has its own unique user base, enabling you to tap into different audience segments and attract new visitors to your website.
Repurposing Audio Content
The popularity of podcasts has been on the rise, making it another avenue to explore when repurposing your content. Follow these steps to repurpose your content into audio format effectively:
- Identify suitable blog posts: Analyze your content analytics to identify blog posts that have resonated well with your audience. Look for those with high download counts and positive feedback. These posts are excellent candidates for conversion into podcast episodes.
- Transform your content into audio: Take the core ideas and valuable insights from your blog post and adapt them into a compelling audio format. Ensure that the episode is well-structured and engaging for your listeners. Consider inviting guests or incorporating interviews to add depth and variety to your podcast.
- Utilize podcast platforms: Leverage popular podcast platforms such as:
These platforms provide access to a vast listener base actively seeking informative and entertaining content.
This approach will help you reach new audiences and expand your brand’s visibility via casting a much wider net with your content.
Dive Deeper: 9 Ways to Repurpose Your Old Blog Content
2) Pioneer Your Own Pillar Content
Pillar content stands tall as the foundation of your strategy.
It not only establishes your expertise, it serves as a launchpad for expanding and repurposing your valuable insights.
Gary Vaynerchuk, also known as Gary V, created a wonderful guide called “How To Make 64 Pieces Of Content In A Day,” which sheds light on the power of pillar content and its transformative potential.
It’s definitely worth incorporating content pillars into your content strategy:
Let’s go through a few steps you can take to cultivate your own pillar content that can serve as a nexus for derivative content.
Selecting Your Pillar Piece
When determining your pillar piece, it’s essential to consider your strengths and available resources. Just as Gary V excels in producing captivating YouTube videos with the help of his dedicated videographer, you may find your forte lies in crafting compelling blog posts or hosting engaging podcast episodes.
This is the first part of developing your pillar content — identifying your primary format.
Once you do, you’ll have the first piece of the puzzle in establishing a solid foundation upon which you can build your content web.
Expanding Your Content Horizons
Once you have identified your pillar piece, it’s time to explore avenues for effective content expansion.
Consider the following strategies to make the most of your efforts:
- Repurposing across formats: If you have a podcast episode recorded on video, seize the opportunity to create bite-sized video clips tailored for platforms like TikTok and YouTube Shorts. These snackable pieces allow you to captivate short attention spans while enticing viewers to explore the full episode.
- Transforming audio into text: Delve into your podcast analytics to uncover high-performing episodes that have resonated with your audience. Take transcripts from these audio gems and transform them into long-form blog posts. By adapting your audio content into written form, you tap into the potential of search engine optimization (SEO) and attract traffic from platforms like Google and YouTube.
- Adapting to trending topics: Keep a keen eye on the pulse of your industry and identify trending topics that align with your pillar content. By incorporating these hot-button issues into your expanded content, you not only attract SEO traffic but also position yourself as a thought leader within your niche.
By pioneering your own pillar content and strategically expanding its reach, you set yourself up for content success. Remember, your pillar piece serves as the anchor, while the expanded formats allow you to cater to diverse audience preferences and maximize your content’s impact.
Dive Deeper: #1 Marketing Strategy: The Content Sprout Method
3) Efficiency and Effectiveness: Make the Most of Your Time
It’s essential to use your resources efficiently and maximize the impact of your efforts. The intent of repurposing content is to save you time that you would have otherwise spent developing new content from scratch.
Repurposing content allows you to extract the most value from your work, reaching a broader audience with minimal additional effort.
Here are two approaches you can take:
- Analytics-driven approach: Instead of starting from square one with every new project, analyze your existing content’s performance metrics. Identify the gems — those popular old pieces that resonate with your audience and have high retention rates.
- Streamlined process: Once you develop a rhythm for your content engine, you’ll find that repurposing content is a straightforward and highly effective strategy for generating material quickly. What’s even better is that the time afforded to you by dispersing the same content across various placements is that it will free up your time to focus on developing the same type of content that already performs best for you — your pillar pieces.
Final Thoughts on Repurposing Content for Your Brand
Repurposing your existing content can save you loads of time. But beyond that, it will spread the message of your most effective and meaningful content across a multitude of channels. In that sense, you’ll not only get more mileage out of your posts, but you’ll maximize the spread of the message you’re trying to deliver.
Get started today by combing through your existing content and consider what performed well in the past. What questions is your audience asking, and how can you answer them? This basis can serve as the origin point for a perpetually growing content library built on a few periodic pieces of content each week or month that can drive traffic to your website.
With a focused approach on what you do best, everything else will follow naturally. Good luck!
If you’re ready to level up your brand awareness and reach with content, Single Grain’s content marketing experts can help!👇
Repurposed from our Marketing School podcast.