In Episode #368, Eric and Neil discuss why you should pay attention to Facebook groups. Tune in to learn the pros of joining Facebook groups, starting your own for your company, and how to extract and give value to these online communities.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: Why You Should Pay Attention To Facebook Groups
- 00:39 – Eric gets a lot of value from Facebook groups
- 00:43 – Eric follows Badass Marketers and Founders Facebook group run by Josh Fechter
- 00:50 – There’s a ton of marketing information he gains from the group
- 00:56 – Another group to follow: Young Entrepreneurs Council
- 01:00 – There’s a high level of engagement in these groups and people share them with others
- 01:18 – Facebook just launched a summit for Facebook groups
- 01:54 – You can search for terms in groups that are related to your niche
- 02:08 – Answer questions in groups—this will lead people to your website and build traffic
- 02:15 – When you build our own Facebook group, it builds a community with that will strongly support your brand
- 02:22 – Neil has a private Facebook group and most of its members help promote one another
- 02:56 – Find the group that has more signal than noise
- 03:11 – Eric highly recommends Badass Marketers and Founders
- 03:30 – Marketing School is giving away a free 1 year subscription to Crazy Egg which helps you increase your conversion rate
- 04:00 – Go to SingleGrain.com/giveaway for multiple entries
- 04:10 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- There’s a lot of VALUE to be had in Facebook groups—build your network and your following to increase your support.
- Join groups that are relevant to your niche.
- Be helpful with those in your Facebook groups—answer their questions and promote one another depending on the type of group that it is.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Full Transcript of The Episode
Eric Siu: Welcome to another episode of Marketing School. I'm Eric Siu.
Neil Patel: And I'm Neil Patel.
Eric Siu: And today we're going to talk about why you should pay attention to Facebook groups. I can speak to you a little of my experience with Facebook groups so far this year in 2017. I actually get a lot of value looking at Facebook groups. There's actually a group run by this guy named, I think it's Josh Fechter or Fletcher. It's called Badass Marketers and Founders. There's so much tactical information around marketing in there. I find myself gravitating towards that one and then there's a couple of other groups that I look to as well, such as the Young Entrepreneurs Council. When there's a really engaging group, people are sharing value, people are going back and forth, it's a strong community, why not? I'm gonna pay attention because that's where the attention is.
The thing is, I think it's worth paying attention to Facebook groups because A, well, I'm looking at it, so it's valuable to me, which means it's probably valuable to others. Facebook actually just hosted a meet up, or I shouldn't say meet up, a summit for Facebook groups and Mark Zuckerberg was actually there, which shows how important these groups are. And they're adding a whole host of other features to groups such as additional insights, leaderboards, also group cleanup tools as well. There's a lot of things that are going to come into groups and that just means there's going to be a lot more attention paid to it and you can also run ads towards groups, which is the intention in the future.
Neil Patel: The other thing with Facebook groups is, you can direct quite a bit of traffic from them back to your site. What I mean by this is, if you do any search for terms of the [inaudible 00:01:56] industry on Facebook, you'll find some groups, join them, participate. You'll notice in Facebook groups, a lot of people ask questions. When they're asking questions, if you have content related to that question make sure you answer and even link to your content. It's a great way to drive traffic back to your website.
The other thing I found too is when you create your own Facebook group it builds a strong community and more loyalty around your brand. For example with me, I have a private Facebook group, we have thousands and thousands of members, they're extremely loyal, we go in there, we help them out, we do whatever it takes to make them happy. And these guys are advocates, anything I release, put out there, whatever it may be, they'll do whatever it takes to help promote and push out whatever I need to make sure it's successful. On the flip side, I am helping them out and I love helping them out, so it goes both ways. But if you create your own Facebook group and solely invite people and build it up, you'll have a much more loyal audience as well.
Eric Siu: Yeah, and the key thing is, there are people that invite me to random Facebook groups and I hate it when people do that. You have to find the ones that makes sense to you and the ones that have more signal versus noise, because a lot of these Facebook groups are really noisy and a lot of them are really self promotional as well, so it's about finding that right balance. If you aren't in the Badass Marketers and Founders group I highly recommend that you join it because it's all tactics and strategies. There's not a lot of questions and discussions around it and if you're looking for quick hits, that's a good place to go.
Any final thoughts?
Neil Patel: No I've pretty much covered it all.
Eric Siu: Our giveaway is actually Crazy Egg, which is Neil's tool. Neil, what's Crazy Egg?
Neil Patel: Crazy Egg is a visual analytics tool. It'll show you where people are clicking and where they're not, through a heat map, and it'll show you how far people scroll down on your site. You can look to see if people are clicking on your call to action buttons or if you need move it up, your private messaging is in the wrong place. There's even a WYSIWYG editor in which you can make changes to your webpage with just a few clicks of a button and of course if you want to run an A/B test, you can also do that within Crazy Egg.
Eric Siu: Great, so if you want to get in on our giveaway, we're giving away one year annual subscription every single week. You can actually get multiple entries depending on what you do. Just go to singlegrain.com/giveaway to learn more about it and we'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: This session of marketing school has come to a close. Be sure to subscribe for more daily marketing strategies and tactics to help you find the success you've always dreamed of. And don't forget to rate and review so we can continue to bring you the best daily content possible. We'll see you in class tomorrow right here on Marketing School.
We help great companies grow their revenuesGet Your Free Marketing Consultation
Check Your Growth Score!
Type your domain below and see a report about your website.