Want to grow your organic traffic by 20-100%? We built ClickFlow, a suite of SEO tools designed to increase your organic rankings and scale qualified traffic for your website. Click here to learn more and get started.
In Episode #388, Eric and Neil discuss whether you should invest your time in Snapchat or in Instagram stories. Tune in to learn which social media site should take more of your time, energy and focus. Also, learn from the best as Eric and Neil explain just why Gary Vaynerchuk is winning the social media game.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: Should You Invest Your Time in Snapchat Or Instagram Stories?
- 00:35 – For Eric, you should invest more in Instagram stories than in Snapchat
- 00:44 – Less and less stories are popping out on Snapchat while Instagram is consistently growing
- 01:22 – Neil agrees with Eric that you’re wasting time and energy on Snapchat, because it is dying
- 01:36 – Instagram is a great place to engage with your audience and get more sales
- 01:38 – VaynerMedia by Gary Vaynerchuk is doing well on social media
- 01:50 – VaynerMedia has over $100M in annual revenue
- 02:00 – Gary is into pushing businesses to using social media
- 02:18 – Gary V’s Instagram stories are funny and engaging
- 02:33 – Growth Everywhere posts Marketing School’s episodes as stories on Instagram
- 02:53 – You can repurpose your Instagram stories to use it on Snapchat, too
- 03:00 – Marketing School is giving away a free 1 year subscription to Crazy Egg which is a visual analytics tool which lets you do changes on your sites easier
- 03:45 – Go to SingleGrain.com/giveaway for multiple entries
- 03:57 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Snapchat is dying—focus your time and energy on Instagram stories.
- More and more people are engaging with Instagram stories today, so now is the time to take advantage of it.
- Gary Vaynerchuk creates his stories to be unique, engaging and funny—do the same in order to stand out.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Full Transcript of The Episode
Eric Siu: Welcome to another episode of Marketing School. I'm Eric Siu.
Neil Patel: I'm Neil Patel.
Eric Siu: Today, we're going to talk about if you should be investing in Snapchat or Instagram Stories. I'll keep this one simple from my end. I think it's worth investing in Instagram Stories versus Snapchat Stories. Reason being Snapchat's growth has stalled and their share prices are dropping. I actually don't use Snapchat that much. I will check it every now and then, but I see more and more people are ... I should say less and less stories popping up at least on my feed. Instagram, I think it's worth looking at because it's continuing to grow. Facebook's putting a lot of resources into it.
Well, not that Snapchat isn't doing theirs ... putting resource into theirs. But point being that ... I mean, lot of discoverability there. Very easy to find people. I mean, if you tag a location people can find you as well. So, I just think there's more room for growth there. I think if you're looking to invest time in something, it better be a growing platform that has attention or why are you doing it?
Neil Patel: Yeah, don't waste your time and energy on Snapchat. It's dying. Instagram is really picking up. It's going extremely fast still. Snapchat's dying. If you don't believe me, just look at their stock. Facebook is really crushing them. So, invest in Instagram Stories. It's a great way to engage with your audience. Get more sales. It works. Look at VaynerMedia, which is owned by Gary Vaynerchuk. The reason he does so well is because he's all over social media. Companies are paying him millions of dollars to help them with social media. VaynerMedia ... at least what I read online ... does over $100 million a year. Somewhere around there. Maybe 90-
Eric Siu: 130.
Neil Patel: ... or something. They wouldn't be doing that much revenue if companies weren't getting results from social media marketing. Gary's really big on pushing companies to Facebook, Instagram, pretty much any major popular social network. So, if companies are spending millions of dollars a month with his firm, that means it's working out for them.
Eric Siu: Right. I mean, if you want some good examples of stories, I mean, you can look at Gary V's stuff. Ramit Sethi, his stories are actually pretty funny and engaging because he just speaks his mind and he ... the way he does it is pretty unique versus kind of what other people are doing. Gary V's stuff ... I mean, he'll post his podcast as a story. So, actually, if you follow one of our Instagram, Growth_Everywhere, we actually post Marketing School episodes as a story there. You can see like the wave file. So, you can check that out as well. That's just another way of kind of repurposing content and we get some good feedback around that.
So, if you're going to invest time, put it into Instagram Stories. Worst case scenario, you can repurpose that and throw it onto Snapchat as well. Neil, anything else?
Neil Patel: Nope. That's it for mine.
Eric Siu: Before we go, we have a one-year annual subscription of Crazy Egg that we would like to give to you, but before I give you the details. Neil, what is Crazy Egg?
Neil Patel: Crazy Egg is a visual analytics tool to show you where people click, where they won't. It allows you to make changes to your website using the Whizzywig so you don't have to be a designer or developer. These are all marketing changes. You can run AB tests. You can see where people are dropping off in your funnels such as, are they not clicking on a form field? Are your call-to-actions too low and people aren't scrolling that far down on the page? Crazy Egg will visual all that data you're getting in Google Analytics so you can make easy, informed decisions, and grow your conversions with these changes.
Eric Siu: All right. So, if you want to get in on this giveaway, we actually are giving away one per week. You can actually get multiple entrees, so I'll let you find out how you can do that. Just go to singlegrain.com/giveaway to learn more about it. We're doing this for the next year. So, get in while you still can. There's 52 of these to give away and you could get multiple entrees again. So, again, singlegrain.com/giveaway, and we will see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: This session of Marketing School has come to a close. Be sure to subscribe for more daily marketing strategies and tactics to help you find the success you've always dreamed of. Don't forget to rate and review so we can continue to bring you the best daily content possible. We'll see you in class tomorrow right here on Marketing School.
We help great companies grow their revenuesGet Your Free Marketing Consultation
Check Your Growth Score!
Type your domain below and see a report about your website.