Want to learn the secrets of the world's best marketers in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for a free 14 day trial of Marketing School Pro to access exclusive content, actionable advice, and a private community that will make you smarter! Click here to learn more.
In Episode #434, Eric and Neil discuss how important headings are for SEO. Tune in to learn why you should still take your sweet time on your headings and how it helps boost your website’s ranking.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- [00:27] – Today’s topic: How Important Are Headings for SEO?
- [00:35] – Headings are still important because the H1 tag still has more authority for search engines
- [01:12] – If your H1 tag is larger, search engine will read it as more important than the other text in your website
- [01:25] – Ranking zero is having a snippet above the actual organic ranking
- [01:39] – Have some sentences after your H1 tag
- 01:56 – Marketing School is giving away 90-day FREE trial to Crazy Egg which is a visual analytics tool
- 02:08 – Go to SingleGrain.com/giveaway to get your FREE copy
- [02:15] – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Search engines still read your H1 tag as the most important text in your content.
- Be sure that your heading is high quality and well thought-out.
- Snippets below your H1 tag will boost your ranking as it’s still read by search engines.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Full Transcript of The Episode
Eric Siu: Welcome to another episode of Marketing School. I'm Eric Siu.
Neil Patel: I'm Neil Patel.
Eric Siu: Today, we're going to talk about how important headings are for SEO. Guess what? In today's day and age, tech still matters in SEO. Headings are still really important, because, well, hey, think about it. Your H1 tags, these search engines still look at them.
Neil Patel: Yeah, think of a H1 tag as the title of a book. It gives someone an idea on what the book is about. Someone [inaudible 00:00:50] search engine. A H1 tag helps them to determine what your page is about. Now the cool part about a H1 tag is they typically have more authority than H2, H3, or they're "supposed to." Now, the way a search engine works is, they're not just looking up H1, H2, or H3 tag. Ideally, you shouldn't have more than one H1 tag per page, but they're also looking at the size of the text. So, if your H1 tag is larger in size, it tells a search engine that, hey, this word, this phrase is much more important than phrases on your webpage that are much smaller in size.
Eric Siu: Great. The one thing I'm going to add to this is, think about ranking zero. Neil and I have talked about ranking zero in the past, which means having that snippet above the actual organic ranking. So, this is kind of the new ranking. Having the right H1 tagging and making it properly ... just write H1 tagging and then having some sentences below it does help you get that rank zero. That does help you increase your overall click-through rate. There's case studies done by HubSpot, by [Moz 00:01:49] as well. So, if you want that, your headings still matter today.
I don't think there's much more to add around this. So, before we take off, we have a annual ... not annual. 90-days, which is $300 for Crazy Egg. That's a 90-day free trial. This is available for every single one of you. So, there's no reason not to check it out. Just go to singlegrain.com/giveaway to learn more. We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: This session of Marketing School has come to a close. Be sure to subscribe for more daily marketing strategies and tactics to help you find the success you've always dreamed of. Don't forget to rate and review so we can continue to bring you the best daily content possible. We'll see you in class tomorrow right here on Marketing School.
We help great companies grow their revenuesGet Your Free Marketing Consultation
Check Your Growth Score!
Type your domain below and see a report about your website.