Want to learn the secrets of the world's best marketers in just 5 minutes a day? Sign up for a free 14 day trial of Marketing School Pro to access exclusive content, actionable advice, and a private community that will make you smarter! Click here to learn more.
Welcome to The Marketing School Podcast—your resource to learn, grown, and nurture your passion for online marketing! In Episode #5 Eric and Neil center the conversation on, The Biggest SEO Mistakes of Their Career. Enjoy!
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:38 – Eric kicks off with blackhat, whitehat, and greyhat SEO
- 01:29 – Building low-quality links to a brand-new sites
- 02:00 – Google’s Algorithm’s are smarter than you—they will always find out if something shady is going on
- 02:20 – That being said, it’s worth it to dabble in some “shady” business if it’s your own site as an experiment, to learn about both sides of the coin
- 02:48 – Back in the day, Neil would do whatever it would take to turn quick buck
- 04:12 – Don’t think short-term, you need to think LONG term
- 04:40 – Go whitehat and build for endurance
- 05:05 – Eric talks blackhat SEO in-depth
- 06:01 – Take blackhat tactics and use them in a whitehat matter
- 06:27 – Do not crank low-quality content
- 07:23 – The Google Panda Penalty
- 08:19 – a 35% drop in organic traffic
- 08:30 – Make sure you do a redesign properly or you will get crucified in SEO
- 09:51 – Content is King—it’s a cliché but true
- 10:16 – But you NEED backlinks too
- 10:53 – The two biggest factors to ranking in Google?
- Links and Content
3 Key Points:
- Links and content, links and content, links and content!
- Dabble in blackhat on websites that you own and don’t care about so you can better understand that side of marketing and avoid it on things that matter.
- When it comes to client websites—and websites you care about in general—think long-term and always go whitehat.
The Google Panda Penalty – An SEO penalty Neil was hit with on one of his websites.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
We help great companies grow their revenuesGet Your Free Marketing Consultation
Check Your Growth Score!
Type your domain below and see a report about your website.