In Episode #465, Eric and Neil discuss how SEO is going to change in 2018. You’ll find out why that #1 spot in a search result is becoming more and more crucial for the purpose of voice searches. You’ll also hear what will affect your likelihood of appearing first.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- [00:27] – Today’s topic: How SEO Is Going to Change in 2018
- [00:40] – Voice searches are becoming more and more popular
- [00:49] – If you’re going after a voice search, you’re only going to get one result
- [01:06] – Gaining the first position for search results is crucial
- [01:27] – Google has been investing so much into voice
- [02:00] – In Google’s algorithm, one factor is the brand query
- [02:12] – People are searching for keywords associated with the brand, like “Neil Patel SEO”
- [02:32] – It’s one of the hardest factors to manipulate
- 02:40 – Marketing School is giving away 90-day FREE trial to Crazy Egg which is a visual analytics tool
- 02:52 – Go to SingleGrain.com/giveaway to get your FREE copy
- [02:56] – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- The use of voice search in mobile devices has been growing significantly.
- The first spot in a search result is becoming more crucial as voice search will only show one result.
- People are using brand queries that can affect a brand’s standing in a search result.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Full Transcript of The Episode
Eric Siu: Welcome to another episode of Marketing School. I'm Eric Siu.
Neil Patel: And I'm Neil Patel.
Eric Siu: Today we are going to talk about how SEO is going to change in 2018. It's starting to change already. It's gonna change even more and more. When I look at my behavior on my smartphone, for example, or if I look at myself talking to Alexa, voice search is getting bigger and bigger. People are lazy; people don't want to type things in all the time, so you have to think about how you can optimize for voice. At the same time, if you're optimizing for voice or a Google Home, for example, and then Alexa, you're only gonna get one result, so you have to think about voice search and what the implications are in the future, in 2018 and beyond. But I do think in 2018 it's not gonna be a fully impacted thing yet.
Neil Patel: Yeah, but as Eric was mentioning ... to piggyback on that ... the first position is gonna be even more important. The reason being is as people are using voice search or mobile devices, you're gonna see way more clicks to the first result and less throughout the rest of the page, so there's gonna even be more of a fight to get on the first spot. The reason being is number two, number three, number four isn't gonna be worth as much in 2018.
Eric Siu: Yeah, and if you think about it, I mean, all the money that Google's putting into AI. You talk about DeepMind, you talk about TensorFlow, things like that, you know, the old way of kind of, "Okay, let's acquire links. Let's build content," it's gonna become different, right? You look at even things like Hummingbird, too. Voice ... I mean, not voice. Search is just evolving over time, and you have to evolve, you have to look at kind of what's going on in the space, and you can't keep doing the same things that's been working for the past, I don't know, 10 years or so, because change is happening. You look at cryptocurrencies, you look at AI, you look at all of these other things that are gonna have massive implications, you have to just be ahead and you have to keep learning, like we said in the last podcast.
Neil Patel: Out of anything that's in Google's algorithm factors, one of the hardest things to manipulate is brand queries. It's not links; it's actually brand queries. That's more and more people looking for your brand, clicking on it, sticking on. They're searching for other key words related to your brand. For example, my guess on why I rank for a lot of SEO-related stuff is, a lot of people are googling "Neil Patel, SEO" and then clicking on one of my listings, right? And I can see through search counts, I'm getting a ton of queries for "Neil Patel, SEO." The point I'm trying to make is, brand queries are gonna be more and more important in 2018. The reason being is it's one of the hardest factors to manipulate.
Eric Siu: Great. I don't have much more to add, so before we go, we want to offer you a 90-day free trial of Crazy Egg. Crazy Egg is a heat-mapping tool and basically there's no credit card required. It's worth up to $3,000 and guess what? It's available to every single one of you, so it should be a no-brainer. Go to singlegrain.com/giveaway and we'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: This session of Marketing School has come to a close. Be sure to subscribe for more daily marketing strategies and tactics to help you find the success you've always dreamed of, and don't forget to rate and review so we can continue to bring you the best daily content possible. We'll see you in class tomorrow, right here on Marketing School.
We help great companies grow their revenuesGet Your Free Marketing Consultation
Check Your Growth Score!
Type your domain below and see a report about your website.