When you are optimizing your web site you cannot forget how important it is to optimize for local searches. We understand the importance of optimizing for national clients, but you should consider how beneficial it could be to bring local traffic to your site. Optimizing for local searches is really not difficult and can be done fairly quickly.
Start With Your Web Site
There are several things you can do that will dramatically increase your chances of showing up for local searches.
1. Add your address to your contact page. Bold it- Google considers words that are bolded, bulleted, italicized & in a larger font more important than the other words on the page. Then place your contact information into your title-tag, keywords and description. Regarding the title-tag, the city and state are the most important, then your phone number and zip. If you can fit the address that is a bonus, but if it doesnâ€™t fit you will still benefit from it being in the content of the page, keywords and description.
2. Choose a few pages throughout your site to mention your city and surrounding cities in the title-tag and combine it with keywords. For example, if you type â€œSan Diego SEOâ€ into Google, Single Grain comes up on the first page. You want to switch up the keyword phrases throughout the title tags, such as â€œSan Diego SEOâ€ and â€œSEO San Diegoâ€.
3. I always try to add a sentence to the bottom of almost every page (sometimes it just doesnâ€™t apply) that says something like, â€œThe Blue Widget Company is proud to serve the communities of San Diego, Orange County, Spring Valley, Coronado and Los Angeles.
4. Add the name of your city and/or keywords to alt-tags and anchor text.
5. Some web sites can have a local resource page, depending on the subject of the site. Resource pages can include local schools, restaurants, sports activities or anything that relates to your business. These pages allow you to use the name of your city repeatedly without being penalized for spam. Additionally, Google likes resource pages.
6. If you sell products and your web site creates an individual page for each product you should have the name of the product and your city and state if it fits.
Important Tip- always add some misspellings to your keywords list. Some people may be typing fast and misspell a word like â€œSan Deigoâ€. Misspellings allow your site to show up when people misspell a word and this happens constantly.
Tweaking Your Blog
Try to include the name of your city in your blog description and title-tag. You can add a signature to every post that includes the name of your city. Add your city and surrounding cities to your about and contact page (remember the â€œWe are proud to serveâ€¦â€ sentence).
Google Business Center
Add your business information to the Google Business Center. Adding your business has many benefits:
You can add your business to Superpages for free. As with Google, you can add your web site, hours of operation, contact information and more, but you are able to choose more categories for your business. If your business is listed under multiple categories you increase your chances of obtaining more clients.
Other Business Directories You Should Add Your Business To
- Yahoo Local
- MSN Local
- Ask Local
- City Search
- Internet Yellow Pages
If you release a press release with a reputable service you will see your business name all over the net. You can create press releases about sales and discounts, such as â€œSan Diego Blue Widget Saleâ€. Press releases can be very beneficial.
The Importance of Links
We all want links pointing to our site from sites with high page ranks and we all need these links to have the right anchor text. You can use directories (usually have a high page rank) and local search sites to point back to your site with the right anchor text. Typically, these places ask you for the name of your business. Just add some additional keywords- â€œSingle Grain- San Diego SEOâ€. The anchor text that will be pointing back to Single Grain will have the business name and two other keywords, â€œSan Diegoâ€ and â€œSEOâ€.
Why Should I Bother?
Well, the bottom line is the more business you have the more money you make. You may want to be appealing to clients nationwide, but local clients are just as important. Also consider that people are always searching for information. You could show up for some random search if someone is researching your city for vacation information or looking for a news story. Anyone that comes to your site is a potential client, even if they came to your site by accident. Optimizing for your local area is truly important. Lastly, optimizing for local search will increase your web siteâ€™s traffic, more traffic means more sales.
We help great companies grow their revenuesGet Your Free Marketing Consultation
Check Your Growth Score!
Type your domain below and see a report about your website.