Want to grow your organic traffic by 20-100%? We built ClickFlow, a suite of SEO tools designed to increase your organic rankings and scale qualified traffic for your website. Click here to learn more and get started.
In Episode #267, Eric and Neil discuss how to start a marketing agency. Tune in to learn how to scale yourself up from zero to a million as well as how to create an effective marketing tactic when you’re just starting out. It’ll get you those clients and perhaps a date on Tinder, too!
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: How to Start a Marketing Agency
- 00:40 – Neil shares why he named his first agency ACS
- 00:44 – ACS stands for Advantage Consulting Services
- 00:47 – Neil and his co-founder thought of the name
- 01:07 – ACS was created 16 years ago
- 01:30 – Neil is starting a new marketing agency
- 02:03 – Neil wanted a website like iProspect’s, which is one of the biggest marketing agencies
- 02:14 – When starting a website, have your own unique angle
- 02:20 – Keep it simple
- 02:22 – Go on Crunchbase, find companies that are recently funded, email them their flaws in a full detailed document
- 02:49 – From there, you can get clients and start having your own agency
- 03:05 – If you want to start a marketing agency, you have to be confident in marketing
- 03:11 – You have to do business development
- 03:28 – If you’re starting out, use Mixmax’s sequences
- 03:30 – Set up sequences and reach out to people like a cold outreach
- 03:57 – Going from 0 to 1M, it all starts with you
- 04:12 – Eric got a client from Quora by answering a question for SEO
- 04:21 – Think about where your people are hanging out
- 04:30 – Eric has a friend who currently makes money from Instagram
- 04:50 – Neil asks Eric the one thing he would do if he’s just starting
- 04:59 – “Give free advice every single day”
- 05:24 – People will eventually respond to you
- 05:33 – Eric even sent Neil a couple of emails before responding to Neil’s blog
- 05:45 – “You got to show value first and then, from there, you can scale up”
- 05:50 – Neil will also do the same thing as Eric if he’s just starting out
- 06:00 – Neil will send an email with the name and a catchy sentence about the person’s business
- 06:39 – Use tools like Mixmax, Outreach and ZenProspect to make sure you have a CSV of the company names for the outreach
- 06:47 – Marketing is a numbers game
- 07:02 – Eric used to take videos to get clients
- 07:22 – Start to build up your portfolio and do some work for free to get referrals
- 07:33 – It’s going to be tough at first
- 07:39 – Neil has a reader who used his marketing funnels to get dates on Tinder
- 07:50 – Funnels is compared to the act of swiping
- 07:58 – The more people you email, the more opens you’re going to get
- 08:20 – In Tinder, there’s a feature called “super like”
- 08:49 – A “super like” is when a person made you a favorite
- 09:00 – If you have a good headline, people will click through
- 09:20 – Make sure you have a good image, just like in Tinder
- 10:00 – “Do good work and then things will start to happen”
- 10:05 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Confidence is important, but being an excellent marketer is fundamental—people will know if you are an expert or are just trying to be one.
- There’s no elevator to success. Reach out to people as often as possible and offer free work if needed.
- Create a plan and research how you will develop your business.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
We help great companies grow their revenuesGet Your Free Marketing Consultation
Check Your Growth Score!
Type your domain below and see a report about your website.