In Episode #363, Eric and Neil discuss how to get more traffic from Google News. Eric is currently going through the process of what it takes to be featured on Google News. He breaks down the requirements of Google News as well as the BENEFITS for your company to be featured by this incredible source.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: How to Get Traffic From Google News
- 00:37 – Google News is an incredible place where you can be featured
- 01:00 – Being featured as a company will drive more traffic
- 01:10 – You have to pass certain requirements in order to be featured
- 01:23 – You need unique URLS
- 01:33 – You need HTML articles
- 01:43 – They don’t accept audio files
- 01:46 – Create a Google news site map
- 01:54 – Eric is currently in the process of going through the Google News’ requirements
- 02:00 – They use Yoast plugin
- 02:18 – For Google News, you need to write content that is broad in scope
- 02:25 – If you do an article about Google, your traffic will boost
- 02:40 – The more broad the article is coupled with a higher click-through rate, the more people will tend to keep reading and generate more traffic
- 02:55 – Marketing School is giving away a free 1 year subscription to Crazy Egg which helps you increase your conversion rate
- 03:42 – Go to SingleGrain.com/giveaway for multiple entries
- 03:50 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Being featured on Google News WILL drive more traffic to your website.
- Write articles with topics that are broad in scope and which lead to high click-through rate.
- Do your best to comply to every one of the requirements needed to be featured on Google News.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Full Transcript of The Episode
Eric Siu: Welcome to another episode of Marketing School. I'm Eric Siu.
Neil Patel: And I'm Neil Patel.
Eric Siu: And today we're going to talk about how to get traffic from Google News. So Google News, just a refresher for everyone. Google News is basically a feature where you can ask to be featured ... It's a news feature where let's say you're searching for something, in the search results you can actually see updated news. So let's say if you want to check something around your favorite sports team, you can do so. You can see the news around that sports team.
To get into Google News, to get featured there ... Let me back up a second and say, when you're featured on Google News, the idea is that you're basically going to drive more traffic because a lot of people are looking at Google News and they're clicking on those snippets.
Now, if you actually want to start getting featured in Google News, what you have to do is you actually have to submit your site to get featured into Google News and you have to have certain feature or certain kind of aspects on your site to make sure that everything's kosher there. Is that correct?
Neil Patel: It is, so you need URL's, your content, your URL structure can't be changing. In other words, it has to be permanent and static. You need HTML articles, they don't want to put in PDF's and other random formats. You can't be blocking the pages. They're unable to accept audio files or anything that in essence, it has to be text. You don't have to but they recommend that you create a Google News sitemap and you submit it through Google Search Console as well.
Eric Siu: And here's one thing that we're ... I mean we're actually in the process of doing this right now for Single Grain, so what we're doing is we're using the Yeost SEO plugin. There's actually a Google News plugin that our developer is going to use. So find your friendly developer, if you're using WordPress and look out for that plugin and will probably make your life easier 'cause that's what our developer is using right now.
Neil Patel: Once you're in Google News, the big key, 'cause I'm in there, what I've learned is, it's about writing stuff that's really broad. What I mean by that is if I do an article on Google, I know that sounds crazy, just Google itself, my search traffic just goes through the roof for that day and even sometimes a bit of the next day.
When I get really specific, let's say do an article on SEO, my traffic doesn't go up. So the more broad the article is, and assuming it's good and has a high click through rate, people will continue to read it, they'll stick with it. It'll stay up high on Google News and I end up generating more and more search traffic.
Eric Siu: That's it for today, but before we go we have a special giveaway and this is Neil's tool, Crazy Egg. So Neil, what is it?
Neil Patel: Sure, Crazy Egg is a tool that helps you increase your conversion rate. So you have visitors coming to your site, how do you get more of them to convert? Crazy Egg will show you heat maps on where people are clicking, where they're not. Shows you how far people are scrolling down your page. 'Cause if your call to actions are too low then you can see why people aren't clicking on them. It even shows you mouse movements. So you can see, the users who convert, what mouse movements and pages they're going through versus the people who aren't converted. And best of all, through our WYSIWYG you can end up making changes to your website and running A B tests, all with just a few clicks of a button. And of course, you can end up getting a free version of it for a whole year.
Eric Siu: So if you actually want to get in on this giveaway, we're giving away one every single week. Just go to singlegrain.com/giveaway and you'll have multiple opportunities to add more entries so check it out and we'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: This session of Marketing School has come to a close. Be sure to subscribe for more daily marketing strategies and tactics to help you find the success you've always dreamed of. And don't forget to rate and review so we can continue to bring you the best daily content possible.
We'll see you in class tomorrow, right here on Marketing School.