In Episode #401, Eric and Neil discuss how to get social media traffic when you have no followers and no money. Tune in to learn a few easy tactics that can get people sharing your content. You’ll also find out the importance of reaching out to the RIGHT people.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:27 – Today’s topic: How to Get Social Media Traffic When You Have No Followers (And No Money)
- 00:38 – The easiest way to get traffic is to look at your content
- 00:44 – Google similar keywords that relate to your content and find other posts
- 00:51 – Get the most popular keywords and type them in the Twitter search box
- 00:55 – Email people who have tweets related to your keyword and check if they want to see your post
- 01:28 – Add a note: “If you like it, feel free to share it”
- 01:33 – You’ll get more social shares by doing this
- 01:45 – Growth Everywhere’s Instagram account now has 6400 followers
- 01:53 – Eric redoes the hashtags to engage with people more
- 02:26 – You can build pods with Instagram Direct Messaging where people share their posts with one another
- 02:54 – Join multiple pods, but make sure you’re adding value too
- 03:09 – Reach out to the right kind of people
- 03:22 – Marketing School is giving away a free 1 year subscription to Crazy Egg which is a visual analytics tool
- 04:26 – Go to SingleGrain.com/giveaway for multiple entries
- 04:35 – That’s it for today’s episode!
3 Key Points:
- Search your most popular keywords to find posts that are similar to yours—then, reach out to the audiences you find.
- Leverage Instagram, especially their direct message feature to find potential followers.
- Make sure you’re adding value to those you reach out to.
Leave some feedback:
- What should we talk about next? Please let us know in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review.
Connect with us:
Full Transcript of The Episode
Eric Siu: Welcome to another episode of marketing school. I'm Eric Siu.
Neil Patel: I'm Neil Patel.
Eric Siu: Today, we are going to talk about how to get social media traffic when you have no followers and no money. Neil, what are your thoughts around this?
Neil Patel: The easiest way to get social traffic when you have no followers and no money is look at the content that you're writing in your blog. Take it, Google similar key words and find other posts. Look at the ones that are popular, put them into search.twitter.com or twitter search box. It'll show you every single person that shared that post. Shoot them an email, "Hey, so-and-so, I noticed that you shared out XY and Z article by author AB and C. I, too, have a similar article that's coming out but mine discusses one, two and three that their's doesn't. Let me know if you want to check it out before I release it. Cheers, Neil."
A lot of times, they'll respond, you're talking about in the double digit percentile in which they'll respond, and once they respond you shoot them a link, saying, "Here you go. If you enjoy it" ... Or you could say something like, "Here you go. If you like it, feel free and share it. Cheers, Neil."
It's that easy. By doing that, you'll get more social shares. You don't really need to do much more.
Eric Siu: Yeah, I'll keep mine pretty simple. Thinking about tags when I'm on Instagram, those actually work out pretty well. When I look at the growth everywhere Instagram, we have about 6400 followers right now and we were getting pretty poor engagement, though. What we did was, we basically re-did the tags that we're looking at and we decided to basically rejiger them and we had three or four different sets of tags that we choose all the time and we alter throughout them and that's helped us get more followers, for sure and definitely more engagement.
The one follow up I have to that also is with Instagram, I like using DM a lot. Also, the person that manages our growth everywhere Instagram, we DM a lot of different people just to see how we can collaborate with other people and you can also build pods with people which is why I like Instagram DM's and pods are basically where you are grouped up with other people and you guys are trying to promote each others new post, right.
These are, let's say Neil posts something new then Neil will post into pod saying, "Hey, I just posted something new." Everybody else will come in, comment on his new picture, like it, whatever and then they'll engage and by doing that everyone gets benefits, right. Everyone's helping each other in this pod. What you want to do is, you want to get into multiple pods and then you want to add a lot of value [inaudible 00:02:55] with Instagram DM.
Think about how you can help people and then you'll get into these pods and you don't need to have money to do this. You just have to be willing to hustle, you have to be willing to dedicate maybe an hour or two hours or if you're crazy maybe four or five hours a day just DMing people, reaching out to people, right. Being able to find these, the right people, through Instagram. People are hanging out on Instagram because there's a lot of attention there right now.
Before we go, we have a one year annual subscription of Crazy Egg worth close to $1200 that we would like to give to you. Before I give you details, Neil, what is Crazy Egg?
Neil Patel: Crazy Egg's a visual analytics tool. Google shows you, or Google analytics shows you numbers but the problem with those numbers are, it's not really clear on what changes you need to make to grow your sales and conversions. With Crazy Egg, it's a video tool, it's a heat map, it'll show you where people click, where they don't. They even have a scroll map report that shows you how far people are scrolling down because if all your call to actions or your form fields are to far down, no one sees them. Well, now you'll know, you need to move them up. It'll also show you visitor recordings of mouse movements and where people are clicking, where they're getting stuck so you can modify your funnels and your landing pages.
The cool part about Crazy Egg is when you're making all these modifications to your site, you California do it in the Crazy Egg whizzy wig editor. From there, you could run split tests and A/B tests within Crazy Egg to make sure your changes are maximizing your sales, leads and conversions.
Eric Siu: Great. If you want to get in on this, we are giving away one of these every single week. Just go to singlegrain.com/giveaway and the cool thing about this is that you can actually get multiple entries. If you want to find out more about that, just go to singlegrain.com/giveaway and we will see you tomorrow.
Announcer: This session of marketing school has come to a close. Be sure to subscribe for more daily marketing strategies and tactics to help you fid the success you've always dreamed of and don't forget to rate and review so we can continue to bring you the best daily content possible. We'll see you in class tomorrow, right here on marketing school.