When using SEO to get traffic from search engines, finding the right keyword is everything! Your site needs to contain the same words or phrases that your potential customers are typing into search engines right now. Thankfully, there are a variety of tools that can help you find the most profitable keywords to focus on. We have reviewed a few of the most popular for you:
Tool: Keyword Discovery
- Save groups of keywords into “projects” so that you can run the same sets of searches over in the future
- Search in multiple databases to help target results, including geographic regions, search tools (ex. Google, eBay, Yahoo, shopping, news)
- Generate charts to show global trends
- Access historical trends starting in 2006, or view current trends from the last 12 months
- Analyze the keyword density of your own pages or your competitors and know exactly how you rank
- 1,000 results are displayed per search (in paid accounts – 10 results are displayed in the free trial)
Support: Use publicly accessible video tutorials and product tour to understand the tool.
- Standard: $69.95/month or $599.40/year ($240 savings)
- Professional: $199.95/month or $1,895.00/year ($504.50 savings)
Free version: Yes, access a free trial after creating an account. Trial includes limited information and number of searches.
This tool is highly rated and used by consumers. The databases help to improve targeted results, especially for shopping- or news-related searches. Notice that the free trial is more limited than other free services. Trellian (the company behind Keyword Discovery) also features a number of other SEO tools.
- Always view aggregated data from major and minor search engines and browser toolbars
- Find more than 10,000 keywords per search (free and paid accounts)
- Use the Negative Keyword tool to identify potentially wasted spending
- Check your SEO in-browser with the WordStream Firefox Plugin
- Get a live demo before registering
Support: On-call support for the tool is available included in the price, and additional support can be purchased for $100/month. The WordStream website also includes extensive marketing resources and an interesting blog.
- SEO – from $49/month
- PPC – from $299/month
Free version: Several free tools: Keyword Tool, Niche Finder, Negative Keyword Tool
WordStream focuses on educating their users and providing outstanding customer service. Their free resources are also a good way to learn more about search engine marketing (SEM). Their free tool finds the highest number of keywords in this review. Information about the amount of competition for keywords is limited to paid versions of the software.
- Keyword suggestion tool helps you find new keywords.
- Create projects with multiple lists of keywords
- View search terms from major metacrawlers (Dogpile and Metacrawler)
- Receive 7 free videos and free e-book with registration for 7-day trial
Learning: Read a variety of articles in the Wordtracker Academy. Regularly scheduled live webinars focus on topics like link-building.
Price: $69/month or $379/year ($449 savings)
Free version: yes, 7-day trial
This tool provides most of the same features as other keyword tools, with good organization and keyword suggestions. However, search terms generated by metacrawlers do not always reflect accurate search behavior.
- Add keywords to “ad groups”
- See local search trends
- Easily view global trends and competition for keywords
- Find customized keywords that you aren't using already
- Easy setup with Google account
Learning: Help Center question and answers.
Price: need paid Google AdWords account
Free version: yes, unlimited but without some features
Though there is less marketing and learning material associated with this tool, it is the only official Google keyword tool. It has gone through a lot of changes in the past year or two – the numbers have been inflated in the past, but the new keyword algorithm should be solving that. The best thing about this tool is how easy it is to get started using it.